I am a Computer Scientist and Software Developer based in San Francisco. I do a mixture of private consulting and independent software development. Recurring themes and interests: user interfaces (mostly web-based), data analysis and visualization, (functional) programming languages.
From 2004 to 2013 I lived in New York City and worked for Goldman Sachs. Prior to that I did a PhD on functional reactive programming and graphical user interfaces in the Yale Haskell Group.
I live at the border of The Mission and The Castro neighborhoods in San Francisco with my wife Eirini and our dog Zoe.
- Bart Salaries - a visualization of BART salary data using D3.js. Part of "Visualizing the BART Labor Dispute" organized by the Bay Area d3 User Group. source code.
- CSVView - a minimalist CSV file viewer using SlickGrid. source code.
Publications(from my grad school days)
- Antony Courtney,
Modeling User Interfaces in a Functional
Language, Ph.D. Thesis, Yale University, March, 2004.
gzipped ps (5,181k)
Slides (from thesis defense): PowerPoint (1,325k), PDF (1,691k)
- Antony Courtney, Henrik Nilsson and John Peterson, The Yampa Arcade. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2003. pdf (655k), ps (3,465k), gzipped ps (675k)
- Antony Courtney, Functionally Modeled User Interfaces. In Proceedings of the Tenth Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, June, 2003. pdf (619k), ps (1,980k), gzipped ps (709k)
- Henrik Nilsson, Antony Courtney and John Peterson, Functional Reactive Programming, Continued. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2002. pdf (178k), ps (3,007k), gzipped ps (802k)
- Antony Courtney and Conal Elliott, Genuinely Functional User Interfaces. In Proceedings of the Haskell Workshop, September, 2001. pdf (204k), ps (2933k), gzipped ps (408k)
- Antony Courtney, Frappé: Functional Reactive Programming in Java. In Proceedings of Practical Aspects of Declarative Languages, Springer-Verlag, March, 2001. pdf (168k), ps (168k), gzipped ps (66k)